2019 Wine and Must Analysis Workshop - Dobson, NC
This workshop provides attendees the opportunity learn and perfect their skills in performing the eight basic laboratory analyses of wine and must under the direct supervision of Dr. Barry Gump, author of Wine Analysis and Production.
Presenter: Dr. Barry Gump is the first holder of the Harvey R. Chaplin Eminent Scholar’s Chair in Beverage Management at Florida International University’s Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management. In this position he is developing new graduate and undergraduate beverage classes to expand the offerings of the Beverage Management curriculum. Dr. Gump is Emeritus Professor of Chemistry and Emeritus Adjunct Professor of Enology at California State University, Fresno. He has had a long association (over thirty years) with the wine industry, conducting research in analytical methodology applied to grapes, juices, and wines.
This is an event in conjunction with the Southeastern Wine Symposium.
Price: $225, ($180 EARLY BIRD RATE through October 25.)
- Multiple participants from one winery - $50 for each additional person signed up from same winery, vineyard or household.
- Current Surry Community College Students - $50
- No Charge for VESTA students currently enrolled in VIN 268.
8:00 – 8:15: Welcome and Overview of Chemistry Lab
8:15 – 11:15: Chemistry Session 1
- Malolactic Fermentation: Monitoring by Paper Chromotography
- Soluble Solids: Determination by Refractometry
- Soluble Solids: Sugar per Berry by Refractometry
11:15 – 12:15: Lunch (provided)
12:15 – 2:00: Chemistry Session 2
- Hydrogen Ion Concentration: pH Meter Measurement
- Titratable Acidity: Titrametric Procedure & Nitrogen: Estimate of YAN by Formal Titration
- Sugars: Reducing Sugars by Visual Rapid Estimation
2:00 – 2:15: Break
2:15 – 4:00: Continue with pH, TA, Brix, N2 discussions and titrations
4:00 – 5:00: Break
5:00 – 6:00: Dinner
7:45 – 8:00: Coffee
8:00 – 10:00: Chemistry Session 3
- Ethanol: Ebulliometric Analysis
- Sulfur Dioxide: Aeration/Oxidation
- Distillation and Titration Procedure
10:00 – 10:15: Break
10:15 – 11:30: Chemistry Session 4
- Sulfur Dioxide: Ripper
- Titration Procedure
- Acetic Acid: Steam Distillation of Volatile Acid Using Cash Still
150 Charlestowne Drive
Dobson, North Carolina, 27017
USA TEL: +1-336-353-9400 FAX: +1-336-353-9401
Click Here to register. Registration REQUIRED for all attendees.Contact name: Cassandra Clark
Admission price: $225 ($180 early bird rate through Nov 2). No charge for students currently enrolled in VIN 268. $50 for current Surry CC students.
Location: 630 South Main Street, Dobson, NC 27017