2018 Wine and Must Analysis Workshop - Dobson, NC
Hands-on analyses of wines including alcohol content, various acid levels, and sugar content under direct supervision in the lab.
The workshop will be led by VESTA Enology Chair, Dr. Barry Gump. Dr. Gump is a professor emeritus of Fresno State University where he taught wine chemistry for over 30 years. He's currently a Professor of Brewing Science at Florida International University.
This is an event in conjunction with the Southeastern Wine Symposium.
Cost is $200, $175 early bird through Nov 2.
Additional discounts: Multiple participants from one winery $50 for each additional person signed up from same winery or vineyard.
8:00 – 8:15: Welcome and Overview of Chemistry Lab
8:15 – 11:15: Chemistry Session 1
- Malolactic Fermentation: Monitoring by Paper Chromotography
- Soluble Solids: Determination by Refractometry
- Soluble Solids: Sugar per Berry by Refractometry
11:15 – 12:15: Lunch (provided)
12:15 – 2:00: Chemistry Session 2
- Hydrogen Ion Concentration: pH Meter Measurement
- Titratable Acidity: Titrametric Procedure & Nitrogen: Estimate of YAN by Formal Titration
- Sugars: Reducing Sugars by Visual Rapid Estimation
2:00 – 2:15: Break
2:15 – 4:00: Continue with pH, TA, Brix, N2 discussions and titrations
4:00 – 5:00: Break
5:00 – 6:00: Dinner
7:45 – 8:00: Coffee
8:00 – 10:00: Chemistry Session 3
- Ethanol: Ebulliometric Analysis
- Sulfur Dioxide: Aeration/Oxidation
- Distillation and Titration Procedure
10:00 – 10:15: Break
10:15 – 11:30: Chemistry Session 4
- Sulfur Dioxide: Ripper
- Titration Procedure
- Acetic Acid: Steam Distillation of Volatile Acid Using Cash Still
150 Charlestowne Drive
Dobson, North Carolina, 27017
USA TEL: +1-336-353-9400 FAX: +1-336-353-9401
Click Here to register. Registration REQUIRED for all attendees.Contact name: Cassandra Clark
Admission price: $200 ($175 early bird rate through Nov 2). No charge for students currently enrolled in VIN 268.
Location: 630 South Main Street, Dobson, NC 27017